About Svidnik

Svidník after the war

The museum was established in 1956 in Prešov. Since 1958 it was a part of the Regional Museum in Prešov as its Ukrainian branch. Two years later, after the territorial and administrative reform and due to a change in the nature of the regional Museum in Prešov, it was decided to establish the East Slovak Ukrainian museum in Krásny Brod where collector's and cultural and also educational activities began to successfully develop.

In the year 1964 the Museum of Ukrainian culture as a result of the decision of the Regional National Committee in Košice was moved to Svidník, which was connected with its countrywide scope in the field of research, documentation and cultural and educational use of material and spiritual culture of the Ukrainian minority.

The Museum in Svidník systematically engages in organisation and execution of different research tasks, but also conducting conferences and other projects. Professionals employed in the museum are authors of many valuable research papers and books. Much of their work is published in the Collective Work of the Museum of Ukrainian Culture in Svidník which comes from the year 1965. So far, 28 annuals in 30 volumes have been published.

How to get to us?

The main cultural and historical exhibition of the SNM-MUK is located 300 m from a bus stop in Svidník.

The exhibition on history and art – Dezider Milly Gallery of the SNM-MUK is located 200 m from a bus stop in Svidník.

The ethnographic exhibition in nature (open-air museum) of the SNM-MUK is located 1 km from the town centre, 200 m from the main road in the direction of Bardziejowa.

Our mobile app

a mobile tourist guide to Jarosław and Svidnik
Nasza witryna wykorzystuje pliki cookies, m.in. w celach statystycznych. Jeżeli nie chcesz, by były one zapisywane na Twoim dysku zmień ustawienia swojej przeglądarki. Więcej na ten temat...